Nachricht
Pyramus

#41 Beitrag von Pyramus »

STEPANOVS
LATVIA

THE UNCLE WHO WOULD BE KING -
PREPARE FOR THE BIG STEPPA :wink:

MD AINSLEY

International football is littered with sadly wasted talents. Cantona never performed for France, Best never reached a World Cup with Northern Ireland and Le Tissier was barely allowed near an England squad, let alone a major championship. Fortunately, however, the footballing Gods have shown mercy upon the European Championships in Portugal this year, and given a sublimely talented defender from the Iron Curtain a chance to show the world exactly what he's made of. Step forward the Eastern Block himself, Igors Stepanovs.

This cultured centre back shot to international recognition when he made his debut against Northern Ireland in 1995, aged only nineteen years of age. Iain Dowie admitted after the game that Stepanovs "battered" him, and the plaudits continued to flood in for this good looking young Communist. Already a regular in the Skonto Riga side (the Latvian champions, with whom he won seven league titles), he went on to captain his national side at the age of twenty one, and now, at the age of twenty eight, he's leading his team of street bandits and train beggars into a major tournament for the first time in Latvia's brief history. They may well be the most unfancied team for years, but Stepanovs is full of confidence about the challenge ahead.

"We are not the favourites, I know that, and I expect that," admits the tall defender. "But when we get out there, and more importantly, when I get out there, well, then you'll see how double hard I am, and how I'm going to run things."

There's a certain arrogance about this player, it seems. An awareness of what he, as an individual, means to Latvia's presence in Portugal this year. It is fair to say that Stepanovs has single-handedly turned these European minnows into a tight and compact outfit, and his influence is there for all to see. "When we play, we are committed," he declares. "We are not the most skilful team in the world, but we are dedicated, and passionate and hard to beat, and this is because of me only. Just me." Igors' effect on this young team cannot be understated, and Latvian coach Aleksandrs Starkos is quick to praise his ginger haired, dog-faced lynchpin at any given opportunity.

"Is he the back bone of my team? Yes. Is he the foundation of my team? Yes. Do I have a team without him? No. It's as simple as that. You all think Parhars is good, because he is quick, but he's actually rubbish. Igors dominates, he actually dominates," quivered an obviously emotional Starkos. "When we beat Sweden and Poland away from home to get here, when we beat Turkey in the playoff, that was all Igors. As a coach, I am often rendered redundant by his mere presence. I regularly weep during training." Less a player, one gets the impression, and more of a living legend.

However, despite such idolatry status in the third world, Igors struggled to make an impact in the Premiership after the 'astute' Arsene Wenger paid £1million to bring him to Arsenal in 2000. Despite a good long ball out of defence one time against Bradford, and a particularly funny stand-up comedy routine at Old Trafford as Manchester United put six past him ("that was more Grimandi's and Luhzney's fault", he declares, "and don't get me started on 'safe hands' fucking Seaman"), Stepanovs struggled to make an impact/tackle/clearance in England, and has since been shipped out to Beveren (Arsenal's feeder club in Belgium) along with the women and children. Still, he does not see it as a downward step, or a sign of his talents being found lacking at the highest level. Oh no.

"Beveren are in the cup final this year. They have never made the final before. I arrive, they make the final. Coincidence? Per-lease." It's hard not to be convinced by this physically imposing yet well spoken man. "They call me The Beast of Beveren here, and you know why? Because I am. I am beast," and as if to emphasise the point, he audibly growls and his eyes notably shine, like a wolf-man. But can he cut it with the best strikers in the world? "Well, just wait. Just wait. If you think Van Nistelrooy got beasted out by Keown, just wait. If you think Ballack is a powerful player, well, just wait. If you think Nedved is one of the most skillful players in world football today, just wait. To all these players, I say, just wait, because Igors is, quite simply, going root you out and destroy you."

And being around this born leader, you can't help but think that root them out he will. Latvia may well have been unfortunate in being landed in toughest of all four groups in their first ever European Championships, but the sheer quality that seems to exude from this player makes you really believe in him as an individual, and so too in Latvia as a team. As a defender, he is a player in his prime, and Europe's finest will to well to treat an encounter with him with the necessary respect. The Uefa website describes him as a player who makes up with positional sense and a reading of the game what he lacks in pace, and the comparisons with Bobby Moore and Franco Baresi don't stop there, says Igors. "Like them, I am a winner. I proved this with Skonto Riga, Arsenal reserves and Beveren, and I aim to prove it with Latvia."

Latvians refer to Stepanovs as Uncle Steppa, after a character in a Latvian nursery tale, and this perverse entry into the psyche of Latvian children is symbolic of a player who is the national hero in every way. Talented, devoted, hard working and thoroughly cocksure, he's going to drag his dishevelled team up with him during these championships, and he's also going to score in the three one defeat to Italy. Bham!
Zuletzt geändert von Pyramus am 22.07.04 @ 14:59, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

ensifera

#42 Beitrag von ensifera »

Pyramus hat geschrieben:Stepanovs is a tall powerfull defender who makes up for his lack of pace by his excellent positional sense and his intelligent reading of the game.
Tönt sehr nach Gamboa. :wink:

Extra_über_Gleis_Cho

#43 Beitrag von Extra_über_Gleis_Cho »

GCZ-RULEZ hat geschrieben:Für was bruuche mer de zidane und de henry?? mer hend jo de cabanas und de nunez ;) aber en spielmacher wär scho nöd schlächt...
Läck du mir das isch ja es geils märli. De Nunez und de Cannabis *riese lach*

ensifera

#44 Beitrag von ensifera »

Pyramus hat geschrieben:"When we play, we are committed," he declares. "We are not the most skilful team in the world, but we are dedicated, and passionate and hard to beat, and this is because of me only. Just me." Igors' effect on this young team cannot be understated, ...
Hoppla! Da können sich die Jungen (und Nuñez erst!) ja auf was gefasst machen.

Pyramus

#45 Beitrag von Pyramus »

tönt wirklich nach einem führungsspieler. hoffen wirs mal...

ensifera

#46 Beitrag von ensifera »

Pyramus hat geschrieben:"When we beat Sweden and Poland away from home to get here, when we beat Turkey in the playoff, that was all Igors. As a coach, I am often rendered redundant by his mere presence. I regularly weep during training."
:? :roll: Und auf Geiger kommt da noch viel mehr zu! Scheint, als bräuchten wir nun keinen Trainer mehr.

Pyramus

#47 Beitrag von Pyramus »

ensifera hat geschrieben:
Pyramus hat geschrieben:"When we beat Sweden and Poland away from home to get here, when we beat Turkey in the playoff, that was all Igors. As a coach, I am often rendered redundant by his mere presence. I regularly weep during training."
:? :roll: Und auf Geiger kommt da noch viel mehr zu! Scheint, als bräuchten wir nun keinen Trainer mehr.
spielertrainer? :wink:
Jürg Meier, NZZ, 30.5.2007 hat geschrieben:Treffen wir einen Gleichgesinnten, fachsimpeln wir im Flüsterton. Fernsehübertragungen von GC-Spielen begehen wir in abgedunktelten Wohnungen, als wären es konspirative Treffen.

Georges Gaggo

#48 Beitrag von Georges Gaggo »

Pyramus hat geschrieben:"If you think Van Nistelrooy got beasted out by Keown, just wait. If you think Ballack is a powerful player, well, just wait. If you think Nedved is one of the most skillful players in world football today, just wait. To all these players, I say, just wait, because Igors is, quite simply, going root you out and destroy you."
Höhö! Ich freue mich schon darauf, wie "Igors der Schreckliche" Gygax, Petric und Gimenez frisst ... :twisted:

Pyramus

#49 Beitrag von Pyramus »

interessant ist noch sein rating bei skysports:

http://euro2004.skysports.com/squad.asp?clid=513

:wink:

p.s. vor allem wenn es mit dem rating der schweizer vergleicht! :wink:

http://euro2004.skysports.com/squad.asp?clid=497

oder england:

http://euro2004.skysports.com/squad.asp?clid=114
Jürg Meier, NZZ, 30.5.2007 hat geschrieben:Treffen wir einen Gleichgesinnten, fachsimpeln wir im Flüsterton. Fernsehübertragungen von GC-Spielen begehen wir in abgedunktelten Wohnungen, als wären es konspirative Treffen.

cr3ssface

#50 Beitrag von cr3ssface »

Endlich ein guter Ersatz für Gamboa! Respect GC.
"Und so zogen wir in die Nati A und wir werden wieder Schweizer Meister sein!"

Antworten